Monday, October 28, 2013

This week in Roskilde...

Mine familier og venner,

This week in Roskilde...

On Monday night ate dinner at member's house in Køge. It is more of
the country out there. It is so beautiful and was really fun. It gets
darker earlier now so we even got to see the stars on this little
watchtower they have :) They are carving a heart shaped sitting bench
into a tree right now, I'll attach of the picture of what it looks
like right now. It's not finished yet, but I thought it looked way
cool.

We went to this little Europe outdoor marketstand festival that they
had hear in Roskilde. Stands were selling sausages, olives, pesto,
pastries, cheeses, clothes and all sorts of stuff from Italy, the
Netherlands, France, Finland... Way cool. We walked by one Dutch donut
stand and the man there told us that he wanted to give us free donuts
because we were servants of Christ. It was way nice of him. We chatted
about our beliefs and then he wanted to know what we did as
missionaries. We told him we usually try to look for some common
ground to start with, then he asked us to try approaching him with our
message. It was cool. He lives in the Netherlands. We invited him to
visit Mormon.org.

I was on splits in Gladsaxe and we went over to dinner at this nice
lady's house who will be leaving soon to serve a Family History
mission in Salt Lake. She made a typical Danish Christmas meal for us:
Flæskesteg (pork that kind of has a crispy layer on top), boiled
potatoes, rødkål (red cabbbage that is sweet and vinegary, way good),
pickles, beets, and then for dessert, risalamande (kind of like a rice
cream pudding with cherry sauce on top... apparently at Christmas time
they put a whole almond in there and who ever gets it wins a prize).
So the point to this story is that I was trying to cut the pork and my
knife slipped off and as a result, rødkål landed in my lap and on the
table and on the floor... ha ha yeah. Somehow, my companion for the
day and the lady we were eating with didn't notice so I tried to scoop
things causally back on my plate and into my napkin for anything else
that still remained on my skirt or on the floor ha ha. It was WAY good
though! Oh my goodness. I might have to continue that Christmas
tradition... :)

Still on splits, I went to a 12 ½ year (copper) wedding anniversary
party of this lady who is half Indian and half Canadian, he husband is
a Dane. Way fun and quite the cultural party. We had Indian food
there, it was so good! She is an investigator in Gladsaxe and invited
the missionaries to her party. It was kind of funny at first because
her friends asked if we even knew her, then they realized that she was
friends with us (well, my companion at least since I didn't know her),
but it was cool because we got to have a lot of discussions about the
church and many people asked about our beliefs and why we had come on
missions.

And yesterday... Some new callings were made in the ward, as a result,
there was no one to teach the 7 to 8 year old class at church, so they
asked Sister Peterson and I if we could teach it. A little
nerve-racking since we found out right as we were walking into
sacrament meeting, but it was fun. It was on how we can show our
parents we love them (through obedience). It was fun. We colored
family trees and drew pictures of each family member on them, told
each other about our families, told each other how we have seen our
parents show that they love us and made a short list of how we can
show our parents we love them. We then talked about Nephi and how he
was always obedient to his parents. At this point, we lost their
attention, but then we got it back by playing Simon says and relating
it to being obedient. Ha ha, it was kind of hard because I realized I
didn't know how to say things like "hop" or "jump" or "touch" (like
touch your head) in Danish. I should try to learn more Simon says
vocabulary :)

I love October, it's a beautiful time of the year (everywhere! no
matter where you are, in my opinion)

My favorite lesson to teach? Probably still and always The Plan of
Salvation. The purpose of life on earth and Heavenly Father's perfect
plan for us.

Love you all!

Med kærligste hilsener,




Søster Orgill

No comments:

Post a Comment