Monday, January 13, 2014

Christmas in Denmark

Wow, so much to say... as always... where do I begin?

December 24th, Christmas Day in Denmark:

1. We went to go see a lady in our ward

2. We went to our Christmas church service

-Two ladies that had planned to sing could not make it, so my
companion and I were asked to sing in their stead. We sang Angels We
Have Heard on High in Danish

-It was really great! Themed around the true meaning of Christmas. A
lady who lives in Roskilde who is not a member came (she had wanted to
go to church, but the church she regularly goes to conflicted with her
work schedule). She was very attentive and we invited her back.

3. We went to church at the Domkirke. They had a All Boys Choir
singing. It was very beautiful music. Good experience. While there, we
met two people who were really nice and told them a little about our
church.

4. We went to the nursing home and sang... probably 10 Christmas
songs. Then we got to visit with the people there for 30 minutes.
There was a cute elderly lady there who I talked to. She wanted to see
a picture of my family, so I showed her the only one I had with me of
my Grandma's baptism. She said that she wasn't very good at
remembering things right now, but that something about our church
seemed familiar to her. She said she would love us to come back every
week.

5. Then we went to the Eriksens house and had a "girls night
Christmas." It was just Sister Eriksen and her three daughters and us
sisters. So we ate flæskestig, duck, rødkål, a fruit salad, sauces,
potatoes, brown sweet potatoes... it was delicious! Then we ate
chocolates, sang christmas songs and danced around the tree, Sister
Hall and I shared a message about the Shepards going with "haste" to
see the Savior. Then two people at a time went up to play Santa and
grab presents. And we ended with ris a la mande. YUM! So good! I won
the ris a la mande prize: Summer Bird ris a la mande almonds (way
good) and a cookie stamp.


Other things that happened this week:

-We had Christmas at the Jakobsens house. It was so fun to get to
participate in some traditions from England :) They have these little
things called crackers that you open before you eat dinner (kinda like
a popper that has confetti in it). Basically, it has 2 ends, you pull
one and the person next to you pulls the other, then you get a fortune
and a paper crown. Amber was so sweet and bought Rootbeer and Big Red
gum for the Americans :)

-We had a traditional Christmas lunch at the Frederiksens and ate more
ris a la mande and got to play spoons and Blokus with the family

-We had a great lesson with one of our investigators and are going
back this week

-I gave a talk in sacrament meeting. I am still not even close to
being good at Danish, but it was amazing that the Lord really helped
me when I gave my talk and I was able to share the stories I wanted to
share without looking at my notes.

-We sang "We'll Bring the World His Truth" in sacrament meeting (in
Danish of course)

Love you all so much and hope you all have fun plans for New Year's Eve

Love always,


Søster Orgill

No comments:

Post a Comment