Sunday, July 7, 2013

New Customs and Investigators

Mine familier og venner,

Things are going well in Vejle. It is pretty windy here and the weather shifts around between being sunny, rainy and cold. The first two days I was here, I wore short sleeves, the rest of the time sweaters and then yesterday I had to pull out my big coat. But I love it, it keeps life exciting :)

I bought a bike this week... however, I have decided that I am short. It's really hard for me to get on and off the bike even though the seat is lowered all the way down... sad. Ha ha. A man in our ward joked that I needed a hobbit bike ;)

There are lots of fun new customs here:
1. You always take off your shoes as soon as you step into someone's house
2. You eat with your fork in your left hand and knife in your right hand to help scoop things onto your fork and that way you don't have to switch hands. I love it! I'm already converted to that!
3. We sleep with a dyne on our bed (basically a down comforter with a heavy sheet that buttons around it). They do not use flat sheets. Just the one fitted sheet and the dyne. Makes bed making a piece of cake!
4. There is a certain way you lay your silverware to show if you are still planning on eating more or if you are done. I'll take a picture to demonstrate on a future date

So, I'm getting into the Danish culture, it's great!

As far as the language, I am learning and recognizing more every day, but it is still pretty hard.

Church was all in Danish, obviously. I couldn't really understand anything, but I know that I will eventually get it. The bishop asked us to bare our testimonies during sacrament meeting, so we did. I had planned to say how much I love the Danish culture and how I was going to try really hard to understand the language, but when I got up there, I just felt like I should just say I was excited to be there and simply bare my testimony. That's what I did and it seemed like I only struggled on searching two words, but everything else just kind of flowed out of my mouth. A couple people in the word came up to me and told me that they were impressed with my Danish (However, I couldn't really understand what they were saying... but one lady said that it was the gift of tongues).

I want to share one amazing experience that just barely happened!
Preface- Last week, we were walking back to our apartment and I smiled at this lady who smiled back and then my companion started talking to her about the church. She told us that she was a Jehovah's Witness. We asked if we could share a message with her sometime, but she said she was not interested, but she took The Restoration pamphlet and got our number. She said she would read the pamphlet, but she said she did not want to give us her number since she did not want us to come teach her.

Okay, so just 5 minutes ago, she sees us emailing in the library! She comes up to Sister Arbon and starts talking to her. Apparently she read the pamphlet, has some questions and wants to meet with us sometime this week! Isn't that amazing????? :)

I love and miss you all and hope you are having fantastic weeks!

de kaerligste hisener,

Søster Orgill



Riding the train, wearing the shirt that Sarah hemmed for me. It used to be a dress, but she is super creative and made lampshades from it and then hemmed it into a skirt!

Me with my new bike.



Me with our new companion Søster Hadley (in 2 weeks, it will just be the two of us in Vejle!)

No comments:

Post a Comment