Monday, February 10, 2014

Crowded Bus/ Language Barrier

Wow, so much happened this week that I don't even know where to begin.
LOTS of miracles! Here are my personal two favorites:

Number 1 from splits-  The bus was SUPER crowded. Sister Swett and I
were talking about Fastelavn, kind of like Halloween here. I asked her
what day it was. She didn't know, so I asked the guy standing next to
me. He said he didn't know because he was not Danish. We asked where
he was from and he said Lithuania. So we just started talking to him
more. Eventually he asked why we were here and I told him we were
missionaries. I asked if he believes in God. He said he wasn't sure
and has not been able to figure it out. I asked him if he would want
to know how to figure it out if there was a way. He said he would. He
told us he has never read the Bible, but would want to if it was in
Lithuanian. We asked if we could come by and drop off a Book of Mormon
and the Bible and talk to him about how he can find out if God is
there. He said yes! So, we got his number and address. I was on
splits, so he is actually not in my area, BUT he texted that day and
asked when we would be stopping by to make sure he is home! Really
cool!

2. Søster Hall and I were waiting to get on our train and we saw this
man who looked lost. He asked us a question, but we had no clue what
he wanted. He didn't speak English or Danish. Eventually, we found out
he just wanted to buy a ticket. He got one and then hung out with us
while we waited for our train. He only spoke Arabic, but we eventually
found out he was a journalist visiting a friend for some undecided
amount of time. He wanted to know where we were from. I told him,
Texas and he made a gun symbol with his hand and looked like he was
scared or me the rest of the night. Søster Hall told him she was from
Washington, D.C. and he said "Obama" and then he pointed to the two of
them and said they were friends. It was hard to talk to him since we
couldn't really understand each other, but I decided to take out the
Book of Mormon to show him a picture of the Savior and told him we
believed in Jesus Christ, that He was an example to us and that He
will come again and people can learn more about it from the book.
Immediately, another guy in the vicinity came over to us and said, "I
would be interested in learning more about that book!" So then we
switched to Danish and talked to him more about the Book of Mormon. He
moved to Denmark 6 years ago from Afghanistan. Turns out he lives in
Roskilde and we are going to meet with him this week!

It's been a really great week. Although, it has been freezing! I
thought my toes were going to fall off when we were only knocking on
doors for an hour the other day. But luckily, the next day I
remembered to put on a pair of cool toe warmers my sister and my mom
sent me :) So that was a little better. Just in a little bit of a cold
spell here, but I like it :) It's fun.

Oh yeah, one more thing. We also met with a guy who said he thinks
people should live the same way they do at church throughout the week,
not just on Sundays. We told him we feel the same way! He's coming to
church next week.

Life is good. Love you all so much. Oh and today I have officially
been out for 11 months. Weird. Time flies. Glad I still have time
left. Now I just need to make the best of it :)

Love always,

Søster Orgill

No comments:

Post a Comment